Friday, August 10, 2012

Writing and two most important things "wot I 'av' lernt" recently

Sorry for the poor spelling and grammar in the title but I think it makes my point.

Actually, scratch that ... I'm not sorry. I've been struggling to write two different stories over the last few weeks and I think I have a reason why.

Firstly my feeble attempts at a novella written entirely in the first person have stalled mainly because I have lost sight of the characters and the story outline. I've done this by either trying to be too clever or trying to fit too many ideas in too short a word-count.

Secondly, one of my new stories has stalled because I don't know how to write the way out of the current situation.

Both of these are killers. But what have I learned?

    1.  Write Anything!
     
It does not matter what it is or where the idea has come from. Write it down! 
No matter what it is or how silly it is then whatever is in your heart, mind or left big-toe you have to write it down. Writing is a skill that can be learned and honed and improved. 
If you are not writing anything how can you see where you are going wrong? How can you see what you need to improve? When you have written something good, do you recognise it and appreciate it? 
    1. Get Objective and Constructive Feedback
Let someone else read your work. 
Without objective feedback you could be writing the most dire pile of steaming do-do and think it is the bees-knees. Trust me, it won't hurt to get a second pair of eyes on your work. The least it could do would be to give you pointers on where you need to improve. The best it could do is to affirm your own position that you are writing that blockbuster story.
So because I get stuck a lot and it seems I have too many ideas that I never write down or record anywhere that is going to change. I may actually end up using a few of the ideas together in one piece of work.

Also, I am going to ask for feedback. I've offered my services recently to a few people on Google+ and hopefully I have been able to help. I'm not trained as a proof reader but that's not always necessary. Just being able to give honest and constructive feedback on someone else's work can help to pin-point your own issues too, so I am happy to help where I can.